- Gov. Reynolds signs new proclamation State Public Health Emergency Declaration - the declaration will affectElevator and Escalator Safety, as the emergency proclamation continues, in the following way:
- Elevator special inspector commissions will not be affected during the emergency
- Elevator special inspectors can do their refresher training electronically
- Division of Labor COVID-19 office updates
- Coronavirus Resources
Tips for Building Owners
Owners of elevators, escalators, dumbwaiters and other equipment covered by Iowa Code Chapter 89A have many responsibilities. All covered equipment must be registered with the Iowa Division of Labor. A current operating permit must be posted at all times. The owner must hire a qualified elevator maintenance company to perform regular safety tests. Owners of older elevators may have to upgrade their equipment by May 1, 2020, to enhance safety. More information can be found by reviewing the Iowa code and administrative rules.
In addition the equipment must be inspected on a regular schedule. The owner may hire a qualified, private inspector. Otherwise, an inspector employed by the State of Iowa will inspect. If the equipment does not meet code, corrections will be required.
Tips for Elevator Installation Companies
Compliance with the following is required for elevator installation companies:
- At least 8 weeks before an alteration or installation is scheduled to begin, submit an installation or alteration permit application. Failure to obtain a permit may result in significant extra costs and delays in the project.
- Work cannot begin on an installation or alteration until a permit for the work has been issued by the Labor Commissioner.
- Once the permit has been issued and received it is to be posted on the jobsite.
- Equipment should not be put into use until it passes inspection by a state inspector.
- Most businesses in the elevator industry must have a current contractor registration number issued by the Division of Labor.
Tips for Local Government Officials
Local government officials are often the first government officials to be aware of a project involving an elevator, escalator, or other covered conveyance. Early contact with owners, developers, engineers, and architects can be leveraged to help avoid costly delays and expensive changes. Working through apparent inconsistencies between elevator codes and fire, building, or electrical codes with the staff of the Division of Labor during the design phase is a smart move. Working with the Division of Labor staff early in the planning phases can mean that appropriate equipment is ordered and installed in a manner that complies with the applicable codes.
Immediately notify the Labor Commissioner of an accident involving an elevator, escalator or related equipment. Follow the accident notification requirements and submit a conveyance accident report form to the Iowa Division of Labor.
The Iowa Department of Public Safety, cities, and counties are responsible for accessibility requirements. For more information on accessibility requirements, call 515-725-6154 or visit Iowa Department of Public Safety.
Elevator Safety Board
The Elevator Safety Board has authority to write rules, review inspection reports, grant waivers from rules, and more.
Public Portal Online Payments
If you have received an invoice from Elevator Safety and would like to pay online, email the business Federal Tax ID number along with your elevator permit number(s) to email@example.com. Instructions to pay online will be emailed after receiving the business Federal Tax ID number.
There will be a 3% service fee added to your total purchase amount or a 30 cent service fee added to your ACH (checking account) payment.
Credit card or ACH payments will not be accepted over the phone.
Installation/Alteration Extension Request
Installation or Alteration Permit Application
Special Elevator Inspector Commission Application
Temporary Construction Permit
Wind Tower Lift Permit Application
Application to Install Construction Personnel Hoist
Reports and Complaints
Conveyance Accident Report
Safety Complaint Form
Periodic Hydraulic Test
Periodic Traction Test
Wind Tower Lift Test and Inspection Report
Additional Injured Worksheet
Escalator Test and Inspection Report
Platform Lift Test and Inspection Report